Thursday, February 23, 2023

Level Unlocked & Badges Earned

Forty-seven.

Four sylables.

Two score + Seven.

It is not a number that usually merits notice. Hardly ever considered a milestone. There are those "special" birthdays, but they tend to spread out after your teenage to 21 years. Maybe the decade count is about the only one that matters until retirement eligibility. Most birthdays are "just a number" most of the time.

Except when they have another meaning. Mine does.

I have already outlived Jesus Christ (well, except for the lives and reigns forever part) but the life of Jesus before resurrection was about aged thirty at crucifixion. Outlived Elvis, and other celebrities "gone too soon." Tragedies, accidents, disease seem to have no prefered status necessary or required. They take them young, middle, and old all of the time.

This year had two milestones for me to cross over. The first was January 2, 2023. The second is today.

The number to exceed was 17,114. That happened on January 1. 

It was the number of days my father lived his life, July 4, 1944 - May 12, 1991. 

My new years came a day late. But I crossed over to day 17,115 all the same. Few even knew I was celebrating. But I was. 

This birthday I come marching in as I have for twelve years; with cardiovascular issues. Managed, stable, but still with a damaged heart working in spite of its incumberances. My capacity is compromised, but it does not greatly impact my day to day health. Recently my cardiologist commented that for my condition, I have a "remarkable" quality of life, with the prospect of decades yet to come. I need to work on a few disciplines of exercise and diet, as this bodily unit seems to resist and rebel from time to time. 

But a "curse" is now behind me. It was official on January 2: I have outlived one of my parents. 

I have been given extra days one of them never saw, never experienced, never lived. I need to honor days more, give time wisely to what outlasts the momentary, incidental, and the negligable. I am probably guilty of overcomitting, under-performing, over-promising and leaving too much unfinished, half-started, and abandoned too soon or too late. I should say "No" more often, and "Yes" a little less.

Sometimes I accept busyness at the fear of boredom or irrelevance. Half-baked, half accomplishments feel somewhat better than none.

Each day is an opportunity to fill, a time to experience, a moment to consider what your life is bringing to others and what you will one day leave as a legacy. The intimacy of nearly losing it all at just thirty-five makes you a little more considerate of what a gift life truly is. 

My wife has been blessed with twenty-one years (to twenty-two in October) of marriage. My parents only had sixteen.

Our son turns twenty in July. I only had fifteen years to share with my father in his life. 

Today is day 17,168. Age: 47. A day with labor and play, obligations, expectations, deadlines and tasks.

And either a red velvet cake or a slice of Coconut Cream pie in the future.

I am at another level, and I earn a new milestone badge.

I will celebrate. Each new day can also be an opporunity to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment