Monday, August 15, 2011

One month later...

Perhaps it is objectionable to call it a one month "anniversary," since anniversaries are generally associated with an annual date, rather than a mere thirty days. But it is a milestone I find myself contemplating.

Thirty days since heart attack. Besides my new medications, and my new constant companion of nitro-glycerin tablets for sudden chest pain, I feel normal. Fewer palpitations, less anxiety attacks, and fewer times I'm reaching towards my neck to take my "pulse." All rather good signs, actually.

There is a check-up on my lungs this week, as well as the Cardiac MRI to disclose next steps in treatment and/or therapy. I have been touched greatly by many acts of compassion and concern over the last four weeks. I have been encouraged by prayers, by cards, and by acts of kindness both great and small. Sometimes you wonder what difference you are making in your daily activities and your causes. I never fully realized or appreciated the larger community of colleagues and friends I have acquired through my life and its adventures!

I even have begun to regain my work duties at Prairie Avenue Christian Church, in small, careful steps.

I do get tired a little more quickly than before. Naps are my friends in the late afternoon. My night owl habits have faded away as I tend to turn in before 10 pm. I'm less insistent and demanding; more grace and forgiveness. I walk a little slower, which means I walk more closely to my wife than before.

Life has changed in so many ways, but thankfully, the good is greater than the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment